Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Geekery Confessional


Bless me Father Norton, for I have sinned against my geeky bretheren

I’m about to admit something that is sure to diminish my geek cred.  Heck, this is going to affect my standing as a cinephile too.  I tested this confession on my friend Jenna the other night before Charlie Ross did his One Man Star Wars.  Even my attendance at that event couldn’t fix my current secret shame.  Jenna was shocked.  You might be too.

{deep breath}  I can do this.

I’ve never seen Ridley Scott's Alien or James Cameron's Aliens.  I know!  I’m hanging my head in shame right now.  And, not that it matters as much, I’ve never seen Alien 3 (Fincher!) or Alien 4 (we’re resurrecting this franchise) either.  Want me to make things worse for myself?  I actually have seen AVP: Alien vs. Predator.  And at that time I hadn’t seen the original Predator either.  I know!  I’m a bad geek. 

Still with me? 

I do know what the Alien franchise is about.  I know all about Ripley and the impact her character had on women in movies and television (thanks for the link, Jenna!).  If it weren’t for Ellen Ripley I bet we wouldn’t have a Buffy.  I’ll need Joss to confirm that for me though.  And I know all about the chestbursting aliens.  That scene has been parodied many times and I got a kick out of it even though I hadn’t seen the source material.

I will be seeing Prometheus this weekend.  I won’t be walking into the theater with absolutely no prior knowledge but I will have a cleaner slate than most.  It looks pretty great and is getting mostly good reviews so I’m excited.  Who knows?  Maybe I’ll even be motivated to see Alien and Aliens sooner rather than later.


No comments:

Post a Comment