Monday, May 14, 2012

Dark Shadows


Director: Tim Burton
Stars: Johnny Depp and Eva Green

I don’t know why but I’m finding it difficult to get motivated to write about Dark Shadows.  I enjoyed it but the film had some issues.  It was exactly what I thought it would be, which is campy and silly.  It didn’t make me love Tim Burton any less.  Same goes for Johnny Depp.  The music was great, if you like 70s classics.  Though I’m not convinced all the songs used were released before 1972 (however I’m not nitpicky enough to look that up).  The look was very Burton-esque, which I always dig.  The idea of sticking someone from the 18th century in the early 1970s is a fun one with lots of potential.  I just can’t put my finger on why I’m so meh about it.  My friends and I walked out of the theater saying we enjoyed it so there’s that. 

I won’t spoil it for you but the main story is how the Collins family is cursed, each in their own way.  It’s almost like they forgot about cursing Chloe Grace Moretz until the end of the movie and then just threw it in to emphasize the point.  It was strange.  But there were plenty of fun jabs at 70s culture and they really worked the camp angle, which I enjoyed.  I've never seen the television show but I know it was filled with campy goodness.  I'd like to think this did the show some justice without being too on-the-nose.

The cast was fine, especially Eva Green who, well, how do you encapsulate what she is?  Uh...she cannot be ignored.  If that woman is in a room or, even in the general vicinity of a room you know it.  It was nice to see Michelle Pfeiffer though I don’t enjoy seeing her in supporting roles.  I feel like her character, the matriarch of the existing Collins family, should have had more to do.  Helena Bonham Carter, the resident psychiatrist, was good as usual but she, along with most of the rest of the cast, didn’t have much to do.  Mostly it was just Depp being weird with his weird fingers and Eva Green stomping around threatening Depp.

They really did emphasize his hands throughout the movie.
I feel like I could add a new measurement to this blog.  It was better than Conan the Barbarian but it was no Avengers.  Hmmm, I need to see The Avengers again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment