Sunday, December 16, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Movies - Day 4

"On the 4th day of Christmas, my TV gave to meeeeee...a really crappy holiday movie."


I'm kind of bummed that Lifetime's The Merry In-Laws was sucky.  I had high hopes because it stars Haven's Lucas Bryant (squee!) as well as Diane and Norm! (Nor-man) from Cheers.  Sadly the movie was beyond cheesy and not in a good way.  It fell flat and I think the female lead and weak writing were to blame.  In fact, I need to admit that I fast-forwarded through about 75% of it. 

The story is this: The guy, Peter, proposes to the girl, Alex.  She's a single mom and he's her son's teacher.  She's a logical scientists and he's a dreamer.  They're already in love so we missed out on what could have been a cuter story. I think they wanted to feature George Wendt and Shelley Long more but I think it could have been better if we had seen the falling in love part of their story.  Instead we get two hours of Peter trying to find a way to tell Alex that he's the son of Santa and Mrs. Claus.  Yawn.

Wendt was fine but Long was over the top and flat out goofy.  Unfortunately Bryant's Peter was more like his mom.  I'm so used to his character on Haven that seeing a goofball like Peter was unnerving. Alex, played by Kassia Warshawski, was meh.  The kid who played her son was cute but the rest of the cast was pretty meh too.


I just can't help but feel like there was a better movie in here somewhere that the writer just missed.  Granted this was different than the usual falling in love movie but it was missing the magic it seemed to think it had.  Here's hoping the next one is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment