Friday, December 14, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Movies - Day 2



"On the second day of Christmas my TV gave to me…2 kids in Love at the Christmas Taaaaaable."

 

In all honesty, Love at the Christmas Table is now my all-time favorite cheesy, holiday made-for-tv movie.  It is the cheesy, holiday, made-for-tv movie against which all others will be measured.  Lifetime aired it and I’m so glad I watched it.  I’m a sucker for uber-romantic movies, especially holiday ones so this one got me right where I live.  Even though I don’t mind the cheesiness, there was hardly any cheese at all in this one.  The guy, Dustin Milligan, is cute and the girl is Winnie freaking Cooper.  Plus throw in a little Lea Thompson and Luke from Gilmore Girls and I’m in.  I’m totally and completely in.

Maybe what I liked most was that Love was different.  Sure, it’s still a predictable romantic movie but there were some subtle differences.  It featured the guy and girl equally and maybe the guy just a bit more.  Plus, unlike other tv movies, they didn’t fall in love in a week.  The guy and girl have been friends their whole lives and are, at one point, brutally honest with each other.

So now is a good time to get into the story.  Our guy, Sam, is home for Christmas for the first time in a few years.  Our girl, Kat, greets him warmly and the flashbacks begin.  We get to see Sam and Kat, at the kids’ table, grow up over the years.  When they’re older they realize there’s some chemistry but the timing is never quite right.  There’s also a side story with Lea Thompson and Luke from Gilmore Girls that wasn’t needed but was sweet nonetheless. 

The writing was pretty good as well and that almost never happens with these types of movies.  Lea Thompson’s character, EB, is a older, single lady who never got to be with her true love.  While trying to encourage Kat to finally tell Sam how she feels, EB reminds Kat about Miss Havisham in Great Expectations.  She was lonely and spiteful and as EB says, “The world has enough Havishams.”  So true.  And it was funny.  Another character got my favorite line, “Toby Weisman and his brothers are throwing a Three Weisman’s Party.” 

I don’t want to get all spoilery about whether Sam and Kat work things out but it is a sappy Christmas movie so I’m sure you can guess.  There’s a fun dance scene too that made me want to call in and vote for Danica McKellar on Dancing with the Stars.  So watch it!  You won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment