Monday, January 23, 2012

Contraband

Contraband
Stars: Mark Wahlberg, Kate Beckinsale, Giovanni Ribisi, and Ben Foster

I saw this movie over a week ago.  I just couldn't get myself motivated to write anything about it.  What doesn't help is that every time I wrote myself a tiny note to not forget to write something (anything), I kept writing the word "Contrabad" instead of "Contraband."  Heh.  Oops.

So there's no real reason to get too deep into this movie.  It is what it is.  Mark Wahlberg doing his thing, being all threatening, looking very skeptically at people (see poster at right), and proving he's a badass or whatever. 

I think there was a story and it was something about Walhberg's character, Chris, getting his wife's little brother out of trouble.  Chris used to be a notorious smuggler (just like his daddy) but has left that behind for the wife, kids and job installing security at people's homes.  He gets sucked back in and needs one more score to keep his bro-in-law alive.  Unfortunately his bro-in-law is an idiot and things go very wrong as they do in these movies. Oh and the voice that Ribisi does is strange and hilarious.  He was going for something but I have no idea what that something was.

Wait, I need to find something good about Contraband. I guess that would have to be Ben Foster.  He's good at these kinds of characters but I feel Ben might be getting typecast and I want more for him..  I've liked this guy since he was a Jewish kid dressed as Hitler for Halloween in Liberty Heights and he's had some real ups and downs on screen.  I haven't seen The Messenger and that looks like it'd be a different role for him.  Maybe it's just that I keep seeing the wrong movies.



No comments:

Post a Comment