Monday, February 20, 2012

The Vow

The Vow
Stars: Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum

It wasn't horrible.  I didn't love it like I love some other romantical movies but I did enjoy it.  Mostly I think The Vow worked because of McAdams and Tatum.  I know, right?  A movie worked because of Channing Tatum?!?  Have you seen Dear John?  He's got the puppy dog, love you 'til the day you die thing going on and it works in these movies.  It works better than when he tries to do the GI Joe stuff.  Speaking of Dear John, this shoulda/coulda been a Nicholas Sparks movie but there wasn't enough death and despair to qualify.  But it did have a general Sparksian feeling which probably did it a disservice.

The story is: a hipster couple fall in love, sit too long at a stop sign on a snowy night, and the wife gets a serious case of memory loss (I don't think they ever say amnesia though).  She has no idea who the guy is that claims to be her husband so he's got to make her fall in love with him all over again. Luckily she doesn't have the 24-hour memory loss Drew Barrymore suffered in 50 First Dates so he doesn't have to work that hard.

It was sweet and I like the actors.  Yes, ok?  I like Channing Tatum.  There, I said it.  He doesn't bother me and he's a good dancer.  So again I say, it wouldn't have worked with just anyone.  Oh and it's a true story.  I don't think the real couple were hipsters though.

No comments:

Post a Comment