Friday, March 23, 2012

Editorializing. It’s my pleasure.

I'm in a mood so be prepared

I’m gonna tell you about things I’m not doing.  One is a thing I’m specifically not doing this weekend but will get to eventually.  The other is something I’m not doing ever and don’t want you to do either.  Thing #1 is that I’m not going to see Hunger Games…wait for it…this weekend.  Thing #2 is that I’m not going to see Titanic in 3D.  Ever.  In fact I am saying right here, right now that I will NEVER WATCH TITANIC EVER AGAIN.  Quote me on it.


So…Hunger Games.  I’ve already aired my concerns about the casting.  I don’t think I mentioned my hesitancy about the director.  But I do think I mentioned my problems with the trailer in the aforementioned casting post. 

Listen, I loved the first book.  It had a huge impact on me.  I rushed out and bought each of the subsequent books when they were released.  IN. HARDBACK.  I didn’t wait for paperback or get it on my Kindle.  I wanted it in my hands.  Of course I haven’t seen those books since I read them (they’ve been making the rounds amongst my friends.)  I loved Catching Fire but not as much as Hunger Games.  I liked Mockingjay a lot but didn’t love it but that’s got nothing to do with why I’m hesitant to see Hunger Games, the movie. 

There was no way the movie version of Hunger Games was going to live up to the version in my head.  I had hopes but knew that whoever took on the project would not be able to really capture the sheer scope of it. Also, I KNEW that the studio or director or combination of would shy away from the teen-on-teen violence.  Casting someone in their early 20s (who actually looks like she’s in her 20s and not in her teens) took away from the shock of teens killing each other.  But I’ve been over this in that other post. 

I actually have out-of-town plans this weekend but if I had been even the slightest bit excited I would have gone to see it today.  For most adaptations I am able to divorce the two and accept that the movie is never as good as the book.  But I just can’t do it.  Maybe my incredibly low expectations will serve me well this time around.  It’s getting good reviews but each reviewer can’t help but compare it to the book.  That doesn’t bode well for the purists.  I think I’m mourning what could have been but I can’t say that with any certainty until I see the film.  And I will see it, just not this weekend. 


Now for my other rant…Titanic 3D.  DON’T GO!  Yes, I’ve been over this before in my James Cameron rant but it’s worth repeating.  There’s no reason to see this film in 3D.  I’ve seen the trailer in 3D and the only difference is the depth of field.  That’s no reason to shell out 3D money to see a movie you’ve probably already seen.  I don’t care if it was your favorite movie ever.  I don’t care if your walls are papered with images of Jack and Rose.  I don’t care if you’ve seen Celine Dion in concert 15 times just to watch her pound her chest while singing about her heart going on. 

Ok, I’ll admit that I saw Titanic in the theater when it first came out.  I liked it (at the time) and cried.  Then it got popular, Cameron’s ego got bigger, and I hated it.  People saw it 4 or 5 times in the theater.  FRIENDS OF MINE (Ashrey!) saw it 4 or 5 times in the theater.  That’s enough people.  This madness of re-releasing movies in 3D must stop.  They weren’t shot with 3D cameras so they won’t look terribly different.  It’s just another way for studios, producers, and ego-maniacal directors to take more of your hard-earned money. 

I’m not going to remind you of when it’s being released but it’s coming up.  I’m begging you…don’t go.  Ignore it.  I can promise you that it will have no impact on your life whatsoever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment