Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Hold onto your pointy hats, I'm watching Charmed!

Despite my affinity for all things witchery, I have managed to make it to 2011 without seeing a single episode of Charmed. That streak ends now. I am committing to watch all 8 seasons because, really, what else am I going to do? I aim to post once a week, detailing one disc (three to four episodes) of the show. So we begin with disc 1 of season 1. The major question posed this early in the series is: Which of the three sisters' powers would I choose to have? We have the oldest, Prudence (Shannen Doherty), who can move objects with her mind; the middle sister, Piper (Holly Marie Combs), who can stop time; and the youngest, Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) who can see the future. Phoebe is definitely out--too much pressure. Though Prue's power is tempting, especially with my desire, born of laziness, to will wine and cupcakes to my couch, I'm going with Piper's time-control ability. It's the next best thing to being invisible, my superpower of choice.

Episodes watched:
"Something Wicca This Way Comes"
"I've Got You Under My Skin"
"Thank You for Not Morphing"
"Dead Man Dating"

Into It: The San Francisco setting; the music the series uses, but especially the rad "How Soon Is Now?" theme song; the way the powers are new to the sisters, so they discover their strengths and master their abilities by and through learning more about themselves and their history (feminist metaphor alert!).

Over It: Alyssa Milano's hair and wardrobe as Phoebe.

hotfllick.net
A sparkly barrette does not 21 make.

I get that they're trying to make her look like the youngest sister, despite her actually being only a year younger than Shannen and a year older than Holly, but a Shirley Temple hair-do, ill-fitting jeans, and shower shoes with socks do not scream "youth" to me.

Waiting for It: More Leo! I don't know much, but I know that Leo is not just going to be the random handyman that repairs an attic door. It might be the Buffy fan in me, but I'm ready for some why-god-why romance to get started!





1 comment:

  1. I adore Piper! And Leo!

    Yay! I knew you'd love the theme song!

    One of the best things is the evolution of Phoebe's hair and wardrobe. They were smokin' something on that set. And evolution is the wrong word because that implies that something gets better over time.

    ReplyDelete