Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Morning After - Revenge

This looks like the cover of most young adult novels.

ABC’s Revenge takes place in the Hamptons where "Emily" (really Amanda) has returned to take down the people who destroyed her father. I love shows that can be wrapped up in a sentence.

The Confucius quote was a bit ominous, “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.” Are they hinting that since Emily is on a journey of revenge she should be digging her own grave too?

This show was pretty great. It wasn’t perfect but it was pretty darn great. Guilty pleasure? Heck yeah. New York socialites at risk? Check. Lavish parties and expansive (and expensive) homes? Check and Check. This is all that (poor) Ringer should be. Ringer is just missing some sort of spark that Revenge has in spades.

The pilot was directed by Phillip Noyce who has helmed such movies as Salt, The Bone Collector, Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games, and more.

What I Loved:
- Her starfish ring. I need one. Now.
Hers looked kinda like the gold on the left. I want the one on the right. Christmas is soon, people!

- Emily Van Camp.  She was so great on Everwood but I never watched Brothers & Sisters so I’ve missed seeing her on TV.  I think this will be a great show and she will carry it well. 

What I Liked:
- The supporting cast, led by Madeleine Stowe. Everyone did a pretty good job. One person jumped out at me so I had to check IMDB to see where I knew her from.  Turns out the girl who plays Madeleine Stowe’s daughter, Charlotte, is the actress who was the young version of Jennifer Garner in 13 Going on 30.  She also played the young version of Jennifer Garner in the travesty, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past.  Maybe J. Gar will show up in an episode of Revenge as “Future Charlotte.”  

What I Could Do Without:
(I should warn you that I am a horrible, awful person.)
- Stowe in another Herve Leger bandage dress.  It’s not for everyone.  From straight on it looked great but she made the mistake of turning sideways and breathing, which briefly made her appear to be in her first trimester.  Everyone knows you aren’t allowed to breathe in one of those.

That’s the dress and see, she’s not breathing.  You can see it on her face.  She just forgot to hold her breath during the show.  I know, I know, horrible, awful person. She's a gorgeous woman and I would never have a figure like hers in a million years. 

Anywhoodle, the show promises loads of soapy goodness so I will definitely keep watching.  Yipes!  I keep looking at that picture and I swear I'm going to have nightmares tonight where Madeleine Stowe is shoving that dress down my throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment